High School students can submit their art for the 2019 Congressional Art Competition
Southwestern Indiana high school students who live in the 8th Congressional District have the opportunity for their work to be featured at the U.S. Capitol in Washington D.C.
Rep. Larry Bucshon’s office announced Friday they are accepting submissions from 8th District high school students for the 2019 Congressional Art Competition. The winner will be honored at a reception at the Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana on April 23 and then have their work displayed for a year in the U.S. Capitol.
The event happens in Congressional districts across the nation, providing an opportunity for members of Congress to understand, acknowledge and honor the artistic talent of their high school constituents. This event is open to all high school students who live in or attend a school in the 8th District, including those in home school.
The talented young artist will also receive two round-trip airplane tickets to attend the winners’ reception for the art competition, or gift cards from Southwest Airlines.
The winner, which is chosen by a panel of local judges, will be notified during a reception at the Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana in Evansville where all artists, teachers, family and friends are welcomed to attend.
Entries should be in one of the following mediums:
‣ Paintings – oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
‣ Drawings – pastels, pencil, colored pencil, charcoal, ink, markers (charcoal and pastel should be fixed)
‣ Collages – must be two dimensional
‣ Prints – lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
‣ Computer-generated art
‣ Mixed Media – use of two or more of the above mediums.
All entries must also meet the following criteria:
‣ Be original in concept, design, and execution and may not violate any U.S. copyright laws
‣ Entered in the original medium (a scanned reproduction of a painting or drawing will not be accepted)
‣ Be two dimensional
‣ Be framed by Friday, May 10, if designated as the winner (specific framing instructions will be provided to the winning artist)
‣ Be no larger than 26 inches wide x 26 inches tall x 4 inches thick (including frame)
‣ Not weigh more than 15 pounds when framed
The rules of the Congressional Art Competition, which are set by the Congressional Art Caucus, require any participating student to reside, or attend school, within the 8th Congressional district, if they are applying through this office.
Students should submit their artwork to one of Rep. Bucshon’s offices by the following dates:
‣ Evansville office BY Friday, April 12, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT
‣ Terre Haute office BY Friday, April 12, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET
‣ Vincennes* office ON Wednesday, March 27, 2019 from 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. ET
‣ Jasper* office ON Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 10 a.m. – noon ET
*These offices are not staffed during normal hours, only during designated office hours as posted above.
For additional information, please contact Erin Lucas with Rep. Bucshon’s office at [email protected], or 812-232-0523.
For more information, please visit: https://bucshon.house.gov/constituent-services/art-competition.htm\
All entries MUST include a release form for the competition.